Sunday, August 18, 2013

XLIV

Contentment

In my relentless quest towards discovering meaning and purpose, I've started looking towards varying world religions, hoping for answers and differing views on life. The first of which is Buddhism.
In the ongoing cycle of life, contentment and good karma seem to be our calling. By living a moral life, we ensure the state of our next life. However, in the present, we must attain enlightenment by suppressing our human desires and, instead, must seek religion.
Happiness, wealth, and success, according to Buddha, are fleeting. Look towards contentment, not happiness:

"Some have too much and yet do crave
I have little and seek no more;
They are but poor though much more they have
And I am rich with little store.
They poor, I rich, they beg, I give;
They lack, I have; they pine, I live."

Though Buddhism instructs us how to live and attain enlightenment, no purpose in life is ever defined. According to this religion, the purpose of life is different to each person based on their goals and their experiences in life. But to a person who is truly content with life, finding the purpose wouldn't seem to matter, would it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment