Monday, June 17, 2013

XXXVI

Cadillac Records

Muddy Waters: Welcome to Cadillac Records; stay around long enough and everyone get one.
Howlin' Wolf: This old truck--I own it. It don't own me.
Leonard Chess: I wanna offer you a $100 advance.
Howlin' Wolf: I don't borrow against the store. Just pay me what you owe me. 
- Howlin' Wolf arrives at Chess Records, excerpt from Cadillac Records 
 
Muddy Waters found himself lacking money, for he accepted his cash in advance. He was given a Cadillac, and then he worked his ass off just to pay for the damn thing. When Howlin' Wolf arrives, he questions the status quo. He takes only what he earns. His principle, though uncommon, proved to be better. Many times we follow the popular practice, but the path less traveled reaps greater benefits.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment